September 2020 - Latcham

Sustainability at Latcham

At Latcham, sustainability is at the heart of our business – not because it’s fashionable, but because it’s the right thing to do. We have a duty to our customers and our community to operate sustainably, with as little impact as possible on the environment.

Bristol City Council has announced it will be carbon neutral by 2030, and we have aligned our goals with theirs. This remains unchanged by Covid-19. To make this goal a reality, we have made some huge changes to how we do business, with more in the pipeline.


We recycle 94% of our waste materials, and we’re working on the other 6%.

Print technology

We recently upgraded our print facility with a second Canon i300 in a continued move towards greener, more energy-efficient printing. Canon I300 inks are water based, moving away from toner-based printing that uses microplastics. This also eliminates the need for print cartridges, as the machine is simply topped up with ink. The i300 is far more energy efficient than traditional toner-based printers, boasting a reduced energy expenditure per page.


We’re planning on installing 600,000KW of solar panelling on our factory, covering both sides of the roof of our main building. We estimate this panelling will satisfy one third to one half of our energy needs.

Energy efficiency

When we decided to become carbon neutral by 2030 we invited Bristol City Council to our premises so they could advise us on how to make this happen. As a result of this, we will be upgrading our current gas heating to a more energy efficient option, re-insulating all our walls and roofs and replacing all of our windows, which will cut our energy consumption drastically. We have also switched our energy provider to Haven Power, who provide green energy traceable to source.

Electric vehicles

Our company van, used for making deliveries to the local area, has been replaced with an E-van. Diesel vehicles are being banned in the Bristol area by the council to tackle pollution, so we thought we would go one better and go fully electric with a new Nissan e-NV200 electric van. On top of this, we will be installing four 22kw charging points for electric vehicles in the coming weeks and are looking at new e-bike charging points and storage facilities to match our E-bike cycle to work scheme. We also have a fleet of 4 electric cars.

Partnership with Tree Aid

We’re partnered with local Bristol charity Tree Aid, a charity that helps people in the drylands of Africa to lift themselves out of poverty and protect their environment. Tree Aid works in Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Ghana, Mali and Niger to bring about the Great Green Wall initiative, which is helping to reforest some of the most climate-change stricken areas of Africa. Through voluntary donations from customers, fundraising events and corporate donations, we want to help Tree Aid meet their goal of enabling people living in the drylands of Africa to unlock the potential of trees to reduce poverty and protect the environment.